Mailman Settings - Discussion List Cheat Sheet
Given the large number of settings that Mailman provides I have written up this cheat sheet as a guide for quickly setting up a private discussion list.
This is for when you want all approved members of a list to be able to post to the list and you want to keep the contents of the list to members only.
I have split these settings into two lists
- A list of settings for setting up a generic announcement list that whoever is providing the list can set before handing over the list to whoever has requested it
- A list of settings that whoever has requested the list should look at adjusting
For administrators setting up the list
Here are a list of settings for setting up a generic public announcement list
- Subscription Rules
Advertise this list when people ask what lists are on this machine? No
What steps are required for subscription? Confirm and approve
Who can view subscription list? List admin only
- Sender filters
By default, should new list member postings be moderated? No
Action to take when a moderated member posts to the list Hold/Reject/Discard
Is archive file source for public or private archival? private
For the people running the list
Here are a list of settings you will need to set to set the moderators for the list and other settings you may wish to adjust in order to personalize the list
- The list administrator email addresses. Multiple administrator addresses, each on separate line is okay.
These email addresses will be publicly available on the listinfo page so you may wish to leave this being set as the default address or at least avoid using personal email addresses in this box.
- The list moderator email addresses. Multiple moderator addresses, each on separate line is okay.
These email addresses will be kept private. Add here the email addresses of the people who will be moderating the list so they can recieve notifications of list subscriptions, emails that have been sent to list but are held for moderation etc.
- A terse phrase identifying this list.
Add a short description that will be displayed on the list of all email lists on the mail server
- An introductory description - a few paragraphs - about the list. It will be included, as html, at the top of the listinfo page. Carriage returns will end a paragraph - see the details for more info.
This will appear on the list info page
- Prefix for subject line of list postings.
You may wish to adjust this as it will appear at the front of all emails sent out to the email list.
- List-specific text prepended to new-subscriber welcome message
This will get sent with emails sent to all new list subscribers
- Text sent to people leaving the list. If empty, no special text will be added to the unsubscribe message.
This will get sent with emails sent to anyone who leaves the list
- Header added to mail sent to regular list members
This will appear at the top of every email sent to the list
- Footer added to mail sent to regular list members
This will appear at the bottom of every email sent to the list
Every Day Usage
Adding New Members
- Mass Subscription
In the box under where it says "Enter one address per line below..." add each email address you want to add one by one, hitting the return key after each one then scroll down and click on the button marked "Submit Your Changes".
When doing this for the first time make sure to include the address you wish to send your announcement emails from.
- Mass Removal
In the box under where it says "Enter one address per line below..." add each email address you want to remove one by one, hitting the return key after each one then scroll down and click on the button marked "Submit Your Changes".